Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dude, Where's My Blog? Brighton Rock Redux!

Apologies for not having posted in a long time. This was due to a confluence of issues, both real and imagined, and a real good dose of negligence.

I have missed reporting on a lot of noir events, such as another Roxie noir festival. I haven't even publicized my own, recent, presentation at the SF Academy of Arts as part of the Film Club presided over by Joseph Lim. I would like to thank Joseph for giving me the opportunity to present Brighton Rock (1947) based on the Graham Greene novel published in 1938. I would also like to thank the many people who attended and those who wrote before, with suggestions, and those who wrote afterward, with valuable criticisms.

Brighton Rock is an outstanding example of British film noir, and although it lacks the grandiosity (or because of it) of another Greene adaptation, The Third Man, director John Boulton's fairly close adherence to the source material, his economical and precise directing, and the brilliant cast, which includes Richard Attenborough in his breakout role, Hermione Badderly as Ida Arnold, Carol Marsh as Rose, and William Hartnell as Dallow.

Brighton Rock is being remade and will have Helen Mirren playing Ida. It appears that this will be released either this year or next, so keep an eye out for it.

"She was good ... and he was damned: they were made for each other." (Brighton Rock, 1938).

Below, is my pre-film presentation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVsWxVUFIkE

No comments:

Post a Comment