Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Hadda Brooks Magnet



I was recently shopping for CDs at Arhoolie Records on San Pablo Ave in El Cerrito, where I picked up two CDs: Hooker N' Heat Live, and Hooker and Canned Heat. I also picked up a DVD documentary on Holwin' Wolf. And while I'm at the counter, I see a refrigerator magnet. This particular magnet featured Hadda Brooks -- Queen of the Boogie Woogie. Where did you get it? Do you have more? I mean how obscure is Hadda Brooks today?

Who was Hadda Brooks? If you love noir, you may recognize the name from the opening credits of "In a Lonely Place." Nicholas Ray gave Brooks (also spelled Brooke) an opening credit despite the fact that she must have had less than five minutes screen time.

Brooks was the first African American woman to host her own television show, in 1957 in Los Angeles, which featured her at piano. She was granted an audience with Pope Pius XII, and sang at the inauguration of Hawaii into statehood in 1959.

In 2007 a documentary "Queen of the Boogie", directed by Austin Young & Barry Pett was introduced to the Los Angeles Silver Lake Film Festival.

Hadda Brooks died in 2002 at the age of 86. She lives today, not only as a historical figure, an icon amongst African American women, not only as the Queen of the Boogie, but as a brave and colorful refrigerator magnet.

Hits by Hadda Brooks:
  • Swingin' the Boogie
  • That's My Desire
  • Romance in the Dark
  • Don't Take Your Love From Me
  • Say It with a Kiss

2 comments:

  1. I watched the Howlin Wolf DVD and I can't recommend it highly enough! It's a historical masterpiece. I loved him anyway but now I understand what an American Icon he really was. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't know who Hadda Brooks was prior to watching in a lonely place but better late than never I say. She was stunning...but then again, aren't all
    sistas?!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognized the name Hadda Brooks from my father mentioning it and the old movies. guess she was a popular media figure, back in the day. but to be immortalized in a frig magnet...
    i'd like to send one to my mom-in-law in italy. who knows, she might even remember her too.
    small world.

    ReplyDelete