Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Noir on the Run

... been really busy, but I've been attending some of the Roxie showings. In general, the attendance looks good. San Francisco really does seem to have a very consistent and dedicated group of noir-philes as I recognize many of the same faces from the Danger & Despair group, as well as attendees at the Pacific Film Archive and the San Francisco Noir Foundation.

So, last night I saw a great lineup. Both movies starred Glenn Ford. Anyways, last night's movies were: Human Desire (1954), and Framed (1947). The Danger & Despair group has shown Framed, and it is a very nice noir with Janis Carter playing the bad girl. Human Desire, however, was directed by Fritz Lang, and co-starred Gloria Grahame as the femme fatale. So it doesn't get much better than that.

While watching Framed, I couldn't help but think that Ford just really did not seem to have the screen presence or charisma, or chemistry with Carter, to succeed in this role. I've seen this film before and I felt the same way the first time. In Human Desire, he seemed more plausible. Could this be because he was older? Or that Fritz Lang was directing?

If you have a chance, do drop by the Roxie. It is conveniently located near the 16th St. Bart Station in San Francisco. Tell 'em Robert sent you. That and a dime won't get you a ride on the Subway.

2 comments:

  1. A great series. But BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND DAWN... ouch. I walked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm ... I didn't get to see that one. I did see The Screaming Mimi, and I think it stretched the idea of what I would consider Noir. Wondering why Between Midnight and Dawn was awful.

    ReplyDelete